Sale pensioner suffers burns and smoke inhalation after fire at her home (From Messenger Newspapers)
Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Sale pensioner suffers burns and smoke inhalation after fire at her home
AN elderly Sale woman suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns after a fire in the bedroom of her home.
Crews from Sale and Altrincham fire stations were called to the house, on Washway Road, at around 5.30pm on Saturday, November 2.
Firefighters found the woman, who is in her 70s, struggling to breathe. A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) trauma technician treated her burns and gave her oxygen therapy before she was taken to hospital.
Crews found that while there was a smoke alarm in the house, it was not working properly or fitted in the correct place.
Watch manager, Gabriel Campbell, from Altrincham Fire Station, said: “The fire involved the bedroom of the woman’s house and we believe the cause to be a faulty electrical block adapter.
“We ask people to make the swap from block to strip adaptors as they are safer and less likely to cause a fire, and also keep an eye on electrical equipment for signs of wear and tear.”
The bedroom was damaged during the fire with smoke damage also being caused to the rest of the house.
Chairman of GMFRS Authority, Cllr David Acton, said: “Fires in the home can start when electrical appliances become faulty or when plugs and cables get old or are poorly wired – so it's important to know the signs and if you think something needs fixing or changing, do it straight away.
“Hot plugs or sockets, scorch marks, fuses that often blow or flickering lights are all signs of loose wiring or other electrical problems.
“Also ensure that you don't leave combustible materials, such as clothing or bedding, next to an electrical unit or appliance in case of fire.
“When you're fitting or replacing a fuse, it's important to use the right fuse for the appliance to make sure the fuse doesn't overheat.
You can find more electrical safety advice by visiting manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/electrical_equipment.aspx.