Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Altrincham teen taken to hospital after inhaling smoke from chip pan
6:00pm Thursday 31st October 2013 in News
A TEENAGER was taken to hospital after inhaling smoke from a chip pan fire at her Altrincham home.
Firefighters from Sale and Altrincham fire stations were called Devisdale Road at 10.20pm on October 28, following reports of a chip pan fire in a top floor flat.
When crews arrived they found that the fire had burnt itself out, but caused damage to the chip pan, extractor fan and kitchen cupboards.
A 19-year-old woman had breathed in smoke trying to extinguish the fire herself.
She was given oxygen by firefighters before being taken to hospital for a precautionary check-up.
Crews used a thermal imaging camera to check that the fire hadn’t spread to any other parts of the kitchen and used a fan to clear the smoke.
The fire was caused by a chip pan left unattended on a gas cooker.
Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Cllr David Acton, said: “Distraction remains one of the biggest causes of fire in the kitchen – when you’re preparing your food, please give it your full attention at all times.
“If there is a fire in your home, never attempt to put it out yourself – get out, stay out and call 999.
“GMFRS is urging people to ban the pan and swap chip pans for an electric deep fat fryer - thermostatically controlled electrical deep fat fryers that plug into the wall are much safer to use.”
For more advice about safety in the kitchen, please go to: manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/safety_in_kitchen.aspx.
Comments are closed on this article.