Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Sale vicarage was built as a merchant's house in mid 1800s
8:00am Thursday 29th August 2013 in News
NINETEENTH century St Paul’s Church Vicarage in Sale was not used as a home for the clergy until three decades after it was built.
The vicarage, on Springfield Road, was built as a merchant’s house in the mid 1800s, 30 years before the neighbouring church was built.
Local historian George Cogswell has researched the history of the house, which is threatened with demolition to make way for a play area and garden for the soon-to-be expanded Springfield Primary School.
The building was built for a Joseph Evison and his family. He named it ‘Poplar House’. Stables were built at the rear of the house and these can still be seen today.
Joseph died in 1857, about four years after he moved into the property. Mary and her four children continued to live there, and are listed in the 1861 census.
In 1865 the house was bought for £400 by cotton spinner Thomas Marsden, at an auction at the Queen’s Hotel, Hope Road, Sale.
In 1882/83 St Paul’s Church was built and first opened its doors on June 30, 1883.
The church bought Poplar House and the surrounding land for £1,800 as a home for its minister.
The first vicar was the Rev Thomas Livesey, who died in 1887 aged 55.
He was succeeded by Dr William Edward Chadwick aged 28. On September 2, 1891, Mr Chadwick married the 27-year-old Mary Milner, the daughter of a wealthy merchant, As a wedding gift the parish commissioned famous architect, Charles Heathcote, to enlarge the vicarage - and the ‘west elevation’ was added to the building.
The cellar area was also enlarged under the extension, to provide extra space for servants.
Mr Chadwick left St Paul’s in 1903 and Springfield Primary School moved to the neighbouring site in 1907.
The 1911 census shows the vicar at the time was a Reginald Petch, aged 39.
The next incumbent was Canon Joseph Chapman, vicar from 1912 until his death in 1955. He is buried in Sale (Brooklands) Cemetery.
In approving demolition, the planning committee heard that additional space was need for the soon-to be expanded school.
A planning report also detailed that. while St Paul’s Church is a listed building, the vicarage is considered to be a ‘curtilage listed’ structure.
Comments are closed on this article.