Teenaged champion swimmer from Timperley died from an undiagnosed heart defect (From Messenger Newspapers)
Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Teenaged champion swimmer from Timperley died from an undiagnosed heart defect
3:03pm Monday 29th July 2013 in News
A YOUNG Olympic swimming hopeful died from an undiagnosed heart defect, an inquest heard.
Chloe Waddell, 16, was found unconscious by her parents at their Timperley home.
A champion swimmer, she would train from 5am four days a week, as well as evening sessions in the hope of representing Team GB at Rio in 2016.
But unknown to Chloe and her family, she was suffering from a rare heart condition which meant she was at risk of sudden cardiac arrest.
The night before she died, Chloe drank vodka shots, cider and schnapps. Later, blood tests would show she was twice the legal drink-drive limit.
Coroner Nigel Meadows said the primary cause of death was the heart defect, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, but he could not rule out alcohol as a factor.
He said: “This is an illustration that moderation is a good thing to follow. A combination of her natural disease process and alcohol consumption resulted in her having cardiac arrhythmia or cardiac arrest. Chloe had no idea she had this heart condition.”
Chloe had competed at the last Team GB Olympic trials alongside Rebecca Adlington and was the regional champion for the 800m freestyle.
The night before her death, she had been at a Swim Trafford and Altrincham Swimming Club awards ceremony where she was given the Outstanding Achievement Award.
Dr Babita Jyoti, a hospital doctor and the mother of the friend hosting the party, was called to see Chloe, who was in her son’s bedroom being sick.
She told the inquest: “I knew some of the children had brought alcohol.
“The children around us said she had had more than she normally would.” Chloe’s parents, David and Fiona, picked her up at around midnight.
Chloe was sick through the night and Mrs Waddell helped her back to bed at 5am. She added: “That was the last time we spoke to her.”
Mr Waddell went to check on his daughter at around 8am and initially thought she was asleep, but noticed her lips had changed colour.
Chloe was declared dead at Wythenshawe Hospital.
Recording a narrative verdict, Mr Meadows said Chloe died from heart failure due to hypertropic cardiomyopathy with acute aspiration due to alcohol intoxication.
After the inquest, Chloe’s parents, of Byron’s Drive, said: “Chloe is greatly missed by everyone who knew her, but most especially by her family.
“She has left a huge gap in our lives. Hopefully, research into this form of heart disease will continue and prevent others suffering.
“This is the reason why friends and family are raising money for CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young).”
Comments are closed on this article.