Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Electric blanket sets fire to bed of 93-year-old Warburton woman
10:03am Tuesday 22nd January 2013 in News
A 93-year-old woman had a lucky escape after an electric blanket set fire to her bed.
Crews from Sale, Altrincham and Irlam fire stations were called to her home on Paddock Lane, Warburton, at around 9.30pm on January 21.
The fire, which was limited to the blanket and bedding in the bungalow, was out before firefighters arrived, but the crews carried out a Home Safety Check before leaving to ensure the woman was safe.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is now urging residents to take precautions against electrical fires.
A spokesman for GMFRS said: “With electrical lamps, never leave them too close to combustible materials in the same way you wouldn't leave a naked flame like a candle near to flammable items and papers.
“If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box if it’s safe to do so.
“Never use water on an electrical fire and don't take any risks with your safety – get out, stay out and call 999.”
For more information on electrical safety go to manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/electrical_equipment.aspx