Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Stretford family lucky to escape garage blaze after fire alarm fails to sound
10:33am Monday 21st January 2013 in News
A FAMILY had a lucky escape from a fire at their Stretford home after their smoke alarm failed to sound this morning.
Crews from Stretford and Salford fire stations were called to Royston Road at 1.45am due to a fire in the garage of the address.
There were two smoke alarms in the house, which the occupier had fitted himself, but this had been done more than a year previously and they had not been tested.
Therefore, the detector downstairs – which would have alerted the residents to the fire – failed to sound.
In fact, the occupier was only alerted to the blaze when he woke up and smelt smoke in the middle of the night.
The blaze was caused by an over-heating tumble dryer, which was completely destroyed in the blaze.
Firefighters are hoping the incident with remind people to test their smoke alarms regularly.
Watch manager Clive Graham, from Stretford Fire Station, said: “Luckily there was quite a substantial door between the garage and the house so the fire didn’t break through into the main living area.
“The man had put the tumble drier on at night before going to bed and we would advise against doing this as electrical appliances can be unreliable.
“The only reason that the occupier woke up was because he smelt smoke so the family were very lucky – had the man not woken when he did, it could have been a devastating incident.”
Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to tackle the fire.
Firefighters will return to the house to fit new alarms and carry out a Home Safety Check later today.
For a free Home Safety Check, which could include the fitting of smoke alarms, call 0800 555 815 or visit