Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Bedroom destroyed in Stretford flat fire
FIFTEEN firefighters and three fire crews tackled a flat fire in Stretford yesterday.
The blaze, which is thought to have been caused by an overheated television, completely destroyed the bedroom of the first floor flat in Canute Court.
Fire crews from Stretford, Salford and Moss Side fire stations were called to the property at around 3.35pm on October 30 after neighbours reported heavy smoke escaping the flat.
Firefighters initially feared that residents were inside the flat, but after six firefighters wearing breathing apartatus entered the residence they quickly established that this was not the case.
Some damage was caused to the adjacent flat and all residents were evacuated during the incident.
Fire service staff made the area safe and carried out salvage work.
Stretford Station Commander, Ben Levy, said having spoken to the crews that attended the incident it is thought that the blaze began due to an elctrical fault inside a set top or digibox.
Mr Levy addded: “Although it’s a really hard habit to get into, we advise people to unplug all electrical items when not using them, with the exception of fridges and freezers that should remain on at all times.
“TVs do not need to be left on standby anymore.”
Mr Levy suggested people book a free Home Safety Check, which is free to all Trafford residents, by calling 0800 555 815.
For advice on electrical fire safety, visit: /fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/electrical_equipment.aspx.
Comments are closed on this article.